If I have my facts right, we were standing on the eastern most point of the Irish coast.
We all had our fingers crossed that we wouldn't need to take our rain coats out of our bags, which is a pretty big thing to wish for over here, but we ended up with an absolutely gorgeous day. There were some scattered showers through the afternoon, but nothing that lasted more than ten minutes, and they ended up giving us an amazing rainbow. I had never before seen an entire rainbow....
On the train ride in we could see huge stretches of green along the ocean, and we all quickly decided that was where we wanted to be. We made our way through town, grabbed a quick lunch, and as soon as I didn't have food in my mouth I asked someone plainly, which way to the water??
Dublin is great, but I do miss the mountains and the grass and the cows. Oh Vermont. I felt like a dog let off her leash when we got into Wicklow, and we all ran across the fields and played on castle ruins and then made our way down to the water.
We established a rule as a group the second day we were here: if we see stairs, we must take them. The stairs in Wicklow led us down to the little beach where we hung out for a bit and took in the view. The rocks here seem to be especially perfect for skipping. All round and smooth. I got tired of skipping rocks and decided to go for a dip. No one wanted to come with me, so I swam out alone and prayed there are no sharks in the Irish Sea. It was pretty chilly, but I just reminded myself of all the kids "polar bearing" up at Midd in February...
The golf course there is beautiful... Harrison and Dad - you might want to think about playing there! Ma, you'll be happy in the grass with a book next to the ocean.
Later we made our way out onto this long cement pier to see the light house, and I went for another dip. This time I got to JUMP. I got my friend Mike to join me, and we ran off repeatedly. After my second swim I was out of dry clothes, so the evening was a bit damp... but well worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment